Mug Shot | Single Dad's Diary - The secret diary of a single parent dad

• November 2006
  • October 2006
  • 2007
  • 2006
  • 2005
  • 2004

The secret diary of a single parent bloke

Mug Shot

Uploaded: Wednesday, December 15th, 2010

Thursday, June 15th, 2006.

Once again, I’ve found myself back on the Internet dating website. It’s the same one where I met Jody, and the other two dates I’d been on (although these were far from successful!) It’s only a small site, and it seems to be the same faces as in the summer).

I’d tried to contact several ladies on the website, but nobody returned my messages. It’s quite disheartening to be ignored, and I’d re-written my profile and changed my picture several times. I’d even looked at the male profiles (just to see what sort of things they’d written about themselves). One bloke had used the following headline: “If you were a bogey, I’d pick you first”. I’m pretty sure that my blurb was better than that!

In the end, I decided just to delete my profile picture and see whether that made any difference.

I sent a message to Gemma. She was local, sounded nice, and was very attractive. I’d sent her a message some months earlier, and not received a reply, but it was worth another go. To my surprise, I got a message back- she was interested!

We began chatting online over a few days- all was going well, then she asked to see a picture of me. I duly sent one, and she promptly cut me off and never spoke to me again. I know that I’m no Brad Pitt, but I really don’t think that I’m John Merrick either. But it’s certainly not good for confidence.

Your Comments

Comments (7)

7 Responses to “ Mug Shot ”

Nibby01 commented at 9:59 am on December 15th, 2010

Its a tricky one….Internet dating can be quite shallow, it doesn’t mean the person is, but at first we have little to go on except how one looks. Often when you meet the person they look better than the photo provided.
    Maybe it was a rubbish picture, I would get a few photos together and perhaps ask an honest female friend which one to upload. Black & white can be flattering.
    Good luck :-)

Number1ScumMum commented at 8:28 pm on December 16th, 2010

Sorry, but I would never ever ever respond to someone who didn’t have a photo. No photo on a dating site shouts either you are married or you find the whole thing embarrassing, which comes over as superior and insulting to those who have put photos on their profiles. You said yourself that this girl was “attractive”. I speak my mind as you know, but I think people with no photo should only be allowed to contact people with no photo. I don’t think generally they do.

Ol Moore commented at 10:43 am on December 17th, 2010

Personally I wouldn’t respond to a photo- Online dating is a soul destroying thing to do mind (I now have to question why I do it).

At the end of the day- its all about attraction. Obviously personality is eveything but you have to be attracted to the person and if you can’t see them how would you know?

@coffeecurls commented at 4:51 pm on December 29th, 2010

See Olly can say that say in the knowledge that he is cute!
    I wouldn’t have read too much into what Gemma did, a lot of people
    have a very specific ‘type’ so one glance at a picture would tell
    them that you were/weren’t that type. In the same way that I’m sure
    you skipped over several probably lovely ladies who weren’t your
    type. We’ve all done it! xx

Bloke commented at 6:58 am on December 30th, 2010

If I’m honest, at that time in my life I was feeling very lonely and probably quite insecure. Online dating just seemed to compound these negative feelings.

Bloke commented at 7:00 am on December 30th, 2010

I too think that it’s soul destroying. I know people that it’s worked for, but maybe it’s just not for me.

lingz commented at 11:09 pm on November 11th, 2014

I know that feeling and always feel a bit of a cringe when i send my photo. It does become flattering when someone does like you after so many rejections.