30 years old, and never been on a date | Single Dad's Diary - The secret diary of a single parent dad

• September 2007
  • November 2006
  • October 2006
  • 2007
  • 2006
  • 2005
  • 2004

The secret diary of a single parent bloke

30 years old, and never been on a date

Uploaded: Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

Thursday, September 1st, 2005.

I’ve been talking to someone I met online. I found and joined a dating website for single parents (I ditched the one I tried a few weeks ago), and got chatting to Jody. She seems really nice, and we’ve been talking on Messenger for the last few nights. I’ve asked her if she’d like to meet up, and she said YES!

And then it occurred to me- I’ve never been on a date before!

I’ve not been out on a date with anyone since I split with Katrina, and she was my first girlfriend- we started going out with each other when we were 16, but knew each other long before that. We didn’t really go out on a date when we got together, it was always us and friends (as you do when you’re 16).

Where should we go? What should we do? I’m really nervous! Jody and I haven’t been able to set a date yet, as she needs to get a babysitter too, so I’m not sure when it will actually be. I’m very excited though- she seems lovely!

Your Comments

Comments (6)

6 Responses to “ 30 years old, and never been on a date ”

Single Dad's Diary commented at 9:53 am on August 4th, 2010

PS. This was 5 years ago. Lots of dating horror stories to come!

Alex commented at 10:06 am on August 4th, 2010

I can’t imagine it went badly- from what I’ve been told by friends, the Christian dating websites are full of sexually repressed women into S&M and other kinky stuff. A normal dating website should have thrown up a fairly normal person :)

farmerdadof2 commented at 10:06 am on August 4th, 2010

Dating horror stories.. yup.. can certainly imagine, got a few of my own horror stories from when my ex had the kids..
    But, strangely enough ;) , havent been on a “date” since i got them back..
    Cant really date when you have kids anyway, not unless you have a reliable babysitter (which i have) at night (much more problematic )

Noodle commented at 12:29 pm on August 8th, 2010

I looked on a single parents website not long after my ex left but bottled it; I didn’t even get round to posting a profile. Interested to hear how yours turned out!

Thank you for uploading all of this – my blog is generally quite light-hearted and I only touch on the more difficult issues (with it happening right now and a malicious ex threatening me almost constantly with all kinds of lies and nonsense I have to be careful what I put online), but it’s great to read other people’s experiences. I’m sorry you’ve had to go through all of this, but it does sound like you’ve come out knowing the extent of your strength.

Chic Mama commented at 7:49 pm on September 24th, 2010

Same here….never been on a ‘proper’ date……how do you start twenty years later?

Dinah Pages commented at 9:27 pm on January 5th, 2011

Dating online is hard enough with so many sites out there so it makes sense to aim for a more specialized site like one for dating professionals for example.