Too much money | Single Dad's Diary - The secret diary of a single parent dad

• November 2006
  • October 2006
  • 2007
  • 2006
  • 2005
  • 2004

The secret diary of a single parent bloke

Too much money

Uploaded: Tuesday, April 13th, 2010

Monday, April 4th, 2005.

I’ve been running through the bank accounts (the joint account’s still a mess, but at least the bank have agreed to freeze it, so Kat can’t take any more money out of it), and I’ve got too much money. Normally, after many hours of juggling finances, transferring what little money we had between accounts at specific times of the month, delaying payments, etc, I just about break even on the month- sometimes by just a few pence! This month, I seem to have nearly £250 surplus- I’ve excluded money that I had for my birthday, and the Child Benefit hasn’t been transferred over to me yet.

I earn a decent wage and could never understand why that, plus Kat’s part-time wage, were never enough. It was always a financial struggle. Apart from DisneyWold last year (which I took out a massive loan for), we hadn’t been on holiday for years, have donated furniture, and a house which is pretty much falling down.

I keep running the figures, and it keeps coming up the same. All of the bills are paid, and I have money. In the three weeks or so that Kat’s been gone, have I really saved that much? Was she really that much of a drain on my finances? I don’t understand.

Your Comments

Comments (6)

6 Responses to “ Too much money ”

Lisa commented at 11:13 am on April 13th, 2010

I can help you with your financial surplus :o ) Mail it to me!

Ben commented at 5:55 pm on April 13th, 2010

It wouldn’t surprise me mate. I bet you don’t wear half as much foundation as she did!

Lorna Byrne commented at 6:04 pm on April 13th, 2010

Mmmm, I can well believe that actually. Dunno what your circumstances were, but I know that had my hubby not married me (leaving aside our kids for a sec), he would not have as much money going out. It’s not that I go out spending on myself, but my medications alone cost over €100 a month, plus I smoke so there’s those two for a start. I’ve given up my car cos we couldn’t afford it anymore, but when I had it, he funded that too. I am a full-time mother and wife as we decided it wouldn’t be worth me working, just to hand over most of my wages to a childminder, plus we wanted the kids to have me with them full-time during their early years. He once had a girlfriend whose parents were well off, and in fact there is a housing estate built now on what used to be their land, and I often joke with him that he should have stuck with her! But it didn’t work out with her, and a few years later he met me and decided to slum it with me!

singledadof2 commented at 9:43 am on April 14th, 2010

Yup.. can definitely believe that. at least your lucky,
    i was stupid enough to trust my ex with the finance side of things, turns out she was gambling the money away at the pokies, when we split, it took me 6 months to pay the almost 4 grand in debt i ended with, and thats without the bills overdue, or the credit card !
    When i got the kids it was a struggle at first, no family payments,(took two months to convince them i had the kids)
    but its strange now, even though im not working atm, i have money in the bank!

Chic Mama commented at 5:16 pm on April 15th, 2010

Funny that isn’t it. :0)

Supersinglemum commented at 9:58 pm on April 16th, 2010

I was quite lucky, he took the joint debts as settlement as they were really his doing. But even before he took them over and I was paying half, I was better of – there is always a spender in a relationship that breaks down – I am hopeful that Mr Right will respect money like I do!!!