The Mess | Single Dad's Diary - The secret diary of a single parent dad

• November 2006
  • October 2006
  • 2007
  • 2006
  • 2005
  • 2004

The secret diary of a single parent bloke

The Mess

Uploaded: Tuesday, April 20th, 2010

Monday, March 28th, 2005.

Although the house is still like a tip, it hasn’t got any worse- amazing when you consider that I used to spend hours tidying it every night.

So I’ve been tackling the mess one small area at a time. Tonight I’ve spent three hours tidying the sofa. Yes, three hours! I lifted up the seat cushions, and found magazines, clothes, cutlery, empty packets, bits of food, crockery and more bills. So most of that went in the bin. Then I pulled the sofa from the wall- it was like an avalanche of rubbish!

I filled three bin bags with rubbish from under and behind the sofa. There was almost everything that you could imagine there, but 99% of it for the bin. It’s just incredible- could she just not be bothered to walk to the bin? It’s going to take me months to tidy the place up.

Your Comments

Comments (8)

8 Responses to “ The Mess ”

Lorna Byrne commented at 10:52 am on April 19th, 2010

I’m sure your house has been like a ‘new pin’ now that you don’t have your ex there, and it must be much easier to keep on top of the housework :)

kay commented at 11:09 am on April 19th, 2010

goodness me i think your ex must be the twin of mine!!! why can people not clear their mess??
    hope it didn’t take you too long to make the house beautiful :-) xx

Lisa commented at 12:04 pm on April 19th, 2010

Please can you do my sofas soon? x

Stacey/Dalaimamma commented at 6:13 pm on April 19th, 2010

We have this amazing show here called Hoarders. It sounds like she was prepping you for an episode. How awful! Before I finally was rid of my ex, we were in renovations for 2 1/2 yrs. He was a contractor and of course, never finished! My 70 yr old father finished the house!

Good for you love. I’m sure it’s come along nicely but has had plenty of surprises along the way.

Chic Mama commented at 6:58 pm on April 19th, 2010

Eeewww, that’s terrible.

Supersinglemum commented at 11:27 am on April 20th, 2010

My ex said one of the contributing factors he went of with someone else for was the fact I was messy – hmmm, funny how without him my house is always clean and tidy – apart from kids toys every where which can’t be helped. He used to pride himself in tidying just what was on show, so the sofas never moved and the kitchen tops only got wiped where no appliances stood. Was a differnet story when he was away and used to just get the house sorted and he would come back and insist on taking over! (It fit in with our working patterns to do things that way so I always agreed)! Life is so much simpler in many ways as a single parent lol!

Single Dad's Diary commented at 12:35 pm on April 20th, 2010

Very few people live in a pristine home, where everything is tidy and there’s no clutter – especially when children live their too. However, the house was beginning to resemble the city dump- the dining room was unusable due to boxes of clutter and rubbish, and it was a similar story in every room.

Luschka commented at 7:41 pm on April 22nd, 2010

urgh. clutter. it’s the bane of my existance. get rid of it. it’ll make your life so much happier.